The winter is often a time when people drink more tea than usual. As a big tea drinker all year round, I wanted to share my all-time favorite tea recipe for the winter. The cold buster is a tea on the Starbucks, “Secret Menu“. I tweaked it a bit and have been sharing it with friends and family all season. Therefore, I wanted to share it with you as well.
You can use bagged or loose-leaf tea or fresh herbs.
- 1 1/2 tsp peppermint or 1 bag of peppermint herbal tea
- 11/5 tsp chamomile or 1 bag of chamomile herbal tea
- 1 tsp black seed oil
- 2 tbsp. of local wildflower honey
- 1/2 teaspoon of ginger
- 2/4 cup of lemon aide ( made with real lemons) OPTIONAL
- While the water for your tea is boiling, combine the black seed oil, ginger, honey and lemon aide and whisk together.
- Pour this mix into your cup.
- After the water has boiled to your desired temperature. Approx. 210 degrees ( Never use the microwave to boil water that you plan to consume, especially tea) pour the water either in your cup or in a tea infuser to allow the tea to steep for 3-4 minutes.
- You can remove your tea bags at this time, or pour the steeped tea into your cup and stir.
Some prefer to leave their bags in, to allow it to get a bit stronger. And enjoy!
Below you will find the medicinal benefits of each item above.
- Black seed oil (cumin) - ”Historically, black seed has been used for headache, toothache, nasal congestion, and intestinal worms. It has also been used for “pink eye” (conjunctivitis), pockets of infection (abscesses), and parasites. Today, black seed is used for treating digestive tract conditions including gas, colic, diarrhea, dysentery, constipation, and hemorrhoids. It is also used for respiratory conditions including asthma, allergies, cough, bronchitis, emphysema, flu, swine flu, and congestion.”
Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her) said that she heard the Messenger (saw) say,
“This black seed is a cure for every disease except death.”
[Saheeh al-Bukharee (5687)].
25 When he has leveled the surface, does he not sow caraway and scatter cumin?
Does he not plant wheat in its place,
barley in its plot,
and spelt in its field?
26 His God instructs him
and teaches him the right way.
27 Caraway is not threshed with a sledge,
nor is the wheel of a cart rolled over cumin;
caraway is beaten out with a rod,
and cumin with a stick.
- ”Local” wildflower honey- Wildflower honey is made by bees that have collected nectar from a local source of wildflowers. Local wildflower Honey is beneficial for seasonal allergies. I like to get a jump-start and really get the honey into my system in the winter, in order to be ready for early spring. It is a great cough suppressant, and contains beneficial antioxidants as well.
Allah says in the Quran, ”And Your lord inspired the bee, to build your dwellings in hills, on trees, and in (human’s) habitations. Then, to eat of all the produce and follow the ways of your Lord made easy. There comes forth from their bodies a drink of varying color, wherein is healing for men: Verily, in this is a sign for those who give thought.” [Qur'an 16:68-69]
- Ginger- “Ginger is one of the most prescribed herbs. Fresh Ginger is used in the treatment of colds for its ability to eliminate toxins and raise body heat. Ginger is also good for nausea, vomiting, menstrual pain, morning sickness, arthritis and more.
- Lemon aide- I use lemon aid in order to sweeten the tea, instead of sugar. Lemons are high in Vitamin C, they are a natural energy booster, and they are great for detoxing the system and cleansing the liver. Lemon also destroys intestinal worms; they have antibacterial properties, and contain 22 anti-cancer compounds.
- Chamomile-Other than its great calming effect, chamomile is great for an upset stomach. It is great for dry skin, and can be used in your bath water as well. The antibacterial effects of drinking chamomile tea can help to prevent and treat colds while protecting against bacterial-related illness and infection. It calms muscle spasms, and of course promotes sleep. Often times we become ill due to a lack of sleep.
- Peppermint- Peppermint is listed as one of the world’s healthiest foods. It activates anti-pain properties, it soothes inflammatory pain (often caused by flu) It eases tension headache, and actually boosts concentration; it contains both Vitamin A and C. It helps to relieve stuffy noses, nausea, cough, vomiting, cramps and it has been said to beneficial in removing symptoms of IBS.